background

Thursday, June 1, 2017

You are Loved...Captivating- A Book Review

“If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads.“ Ralph Waldo Emerson

So reviewing books sounds like fun, but how in the world to pick which one?!  So many books, so little time….how true. 

 Ten people can read the same book on the same day and close the last chapter with ten different “take aways”, depending on life stages and viewpoints.  So this review is just my humble little opinion and perspective, based on where I am in life and how my mind works.  I have read thousands of books, but only think of a few as “life changers”.

I read Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge about 10 years ago.  It rocked my world then.  I couldn’t recommend it fast or furious enough.  I bought copies and gave them to friends.  It is in the “life changer” category without a doubt.  I read it again last year and it was every bit as powerful the second time.  I had my then 16 year old daughter read it and it truly changed her life as well. 

It is a book about how my Creator is passionate about me, how He made me a woman on purpose and with a purpose.  It is stunningly well written.  It is a breath of fresh air I didn’t even know I needed.  It is co-authored by a husband and wife team, both who have written best sellers before this one.  The male/female perspectives make if quite unique.  They both share vulnerably, Stasi sharing some of her own story and struggle with truly believing God loves her and always has.  They weave scripture in with daily proof and assurances of God’s personal love and affection for me.

I have heard that God loves me my entire life, but after reading this book, I was convinced.  For the first time, I was able to understand God as the Hero of my heart and the Lover of my soul.  God spoke directly to my heart through Stasi.   I closed the book feeling treasured, beautiful and yes, captivating. 

I highly recommend Captivating to men, women and teen girls.

(P.S.  Ok, so no book is pure perfection, right?  The authors must truly be movie lovers because the book is full of movie examples and mentions, many of which I would not watch, let my kids watch, or recommend.  That’s just me, and it didn’t really take away from the message, just had me scratching my head a time or two.)

Happy reading,

Miriam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your story!